Installing Python version 3.6.5 on Windows: The Python download requires about 30 Mb of disk space; keep it on your machine, in case you need to re-install Python. When installed, Python requires an additional 90 Mb of disk space.
Downloading – Installing Python version 3.6.5 on Windows
- Click Python Download.
- The following page will appear in your browser.
- Click the Download Python 3.6.5 button. Move this file to a more permanent location, so that you can install Python (and reinstall it easily later, if necessary). Feel free to explore this webpage further; if you want to just continue the installation, you can terminate the tab browsing this webpage. Start the Installing instructions directly below.
Double-click the icon labeling the file python3.6.5.exe. An Open File -Security Warning pop-up window will appear. Click Run. A Python 3.6.5 pop-up window will appear.
- Ensure that the Install launcher for all users (recommended) and the Add Python 3.6 to PATH checkboxes at the bottom are checked.
If the Python Installer finds an earlier version of Python installed on your computer, the Install Now message will instead appear as Upgrade Now (and the checkboxes will not appear).
Highlight the Install Now (or Upgrade Now) message, and then click it.
A User Account Control pop-up window will appear, posing the question Do you want the allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
Click the Yes button.
A new Python 3.6.2 (32-bit) Setup pop-up window will appear with a Setup Progress message and a progress bar.
During installation, it will show the various components it is installing and move the progress bar towards completion. Soon, a new Python 3.6.2 (32-bit) Setup pop-up window will appear with a Setup was successfully message.
Click the Close button. Python should now be installed.
Verifying Python Installation
To try to verify installation,
- Navigate to the directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32 (or to whatever directory Python was installed into use that install folder directory you used in your setup.
- Double-click the icon/file python.exe. The following pop-up window will appear. Version numbers may differ from whats displayed here, thats ok.